Tuesday, June 28, 2005

They get bigger....

Yesterday I took our 4 kids to Virginia to have lunch with my grandma and visit the Virginia Museum of Natural History. It is about an hour drive each way...not really a big deal.

By the time we arrived yesterday, I was about to pull my hair out. The kids kept bickering, yelling, and arguing. I had a headache and felt like such a bad mom because I kept yelling at the kids. I was prepared for a bad day.

The visit turned out OK. They behaved reasonably well at lunch and all seemed to enjoy the museum...though it was the smallest one we've ever been to. And we've visited a bunch. I don't think there is one science or history musuem in this state we have missed.

After all was quiet last night, I decided to give our puppies a bath. What?!?! I haven't mentioned our babies before. Oh my. Well, Chelsea has a 7 month old Chihuahua mix named Dakota that is so ugly he is adorable. I have a 6 month old Shih Tzu, Bailey, who I think has the sweetest teddy bear face ever. ANYHOW, I usually bathe them in the kitchen sink. But, Bailey is starting to get to big for it, so I decided to put them in the shower with me.

Despite the fact that they are small, our doggies HATE getting a bath. The do not make it easy at all. It took me about 30 minutes to get them both bathed. The whole time, I crooned to them, sang to them, soothed them. Even once we got out of the shower, I continued to lavish them with songs, praise, and comforts. All at once, I realized this is the way I used to relate to my children. I used to have so much fun with them. What happened?

It made me remember how I used to cuddle and sing to my babies when they were young. Now, it seems I rarely have a positive thing to say to them.

Did I miss my calling? Was I really meant to have children? Perhaps I was meant to only have pets? I am so good with babies and animals....actually come to think about it I am great with other people's children. Just not my own?

Don't get me wrong. I adore my children...all of them. After four years, the lines between which children are "mine" and which ones are my "stepkids" are blurred. But, the simple fact is, I just have no patience with them whatsoever.

Starting today, I am going to make a consious effort to compliment each child on something every day. Whether it is commenting they did a good job on their chores, saying they look nice, or thanking them for being kind to someone else. We all need to make a point to make our kids feel good about themselves. It is an area I have been sorely lacking in as of late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Song Lyrics

One Body Ministries - Uniting believers into one body to win souls and further the cause of Christ!

I Believe Christian Network

WBFJ-Music From the Heart

Diary Of A Transplant Patient

The Life and Times of Simon

World Prayer


World Prayer