Friday, July 01, 2005

Christianity and The Bible in Our Classrooms

This is a paper I turned in for my Education 201 class last night. Just thought I'd share and see if anyone has any comments or suggestions. I am going to be researching in depth Religion in public education as my final paper.

Most Elementary Education students have ideals that they hope to see come to fruition once they become teachers in the public school systems. Even those who have experienced a good deal of realism in our schools and may be a bit jaded are inspired to make changes when it is finally “their turn”. Over the past few weeks in my Education 201 class I have become more self aware of my own biases as well as my core beliefs that I will take forward with me as a future educator. The greatest of these is my certainty that our children need to be taught real American history. While this would encompass telling all facts in US history instead of fairy tales, in my opinion a large part should include educating students on the importance of the Bible and Christianity in our nation’s history.
There are two major experiences in my life that has led me to believe so strongly in about these topics. The first occurred in my senior year of high school. I went through a rebellious stage in my mid teens, so in my senior year, my parents and I decided for me to enroll in a Christian school. The history and Bible lessons I learned there were invaluable to me. They made impressions on me which still influences my decisions and thought processes to this day. Therefore, I learned the value of learning the impact the Bible had on the formation of our country. I believe if I had been exposed to these morals and standards at a younger age, I may have experienced much calmer teen years.
The latter experience has been through my history classes here at Guilford College. I have realized that a lot of information taught in our public schools is sorely lacking in accuracy and content. Our nation’s history is not the pretty and rosy story often portrayed in history textbooks. I believe that students have a right, even the need to learn how America began. While our classrooms are filled with diverse cultures, all children in our public school systems live in America and can benefit from knowing our country’s true heritage—good and bad.
A brief study of United States history reveals the Bible was the foundation and blueprint for our Constitution, Declaration of Independence, educational system, and our entire history until 20 to 30 years ago. To support this, I have interviewed four different people from very different walks in life to get their opinions. All four agreed whole-heartedly that the reason Europeans came to America was to gain religious freedoms and to flee Catholic rule. Many different colonies evolved, each with their own version of religion. However, indisputably their core beliefs were all centered on the Bible and Christianity. A respondent replied adamantly to me, “The foundation of our country was laid on the basis of God's providence, and all men being equal. This country was settled mostly by Christians fleeing persecution; therefore Christianity had a very big impaction on the formation of society because most of Society was Christians.”
This sentiment echoes the thoughts of all four people I questioned.
However, in history classes in our schools students are not taught what these beliefs are, or what it was about the Bible that made it so important. For students to fully understand the heritage of our great nation, they must be taught the religious aspects. When you're teaching this, you're not teaching religion as such, but history. The facts of what really happened. You do not leave it out simply because for some people it may not be "politically correct". It is still true and is merely educating the students about the real history of our country. As one of my interviewees commented, “When children are taught about the Middle East, they learn about Islam and some of it’s major concepts. By all means, they should learn about the religion that founded the very country they call home.”
It is ironic that public schools were first formed as a way to ensure that children were able to read the Bible. Now, it is not allowed to be referred to in any way in our nation’s classrooms. As quoted in two major national newspapers, “How are we to expect our young people to live up to America’s ideals if they are cut off from the stories, beliefs and metaphors that for hundreds of years gave those principles life?” (Nov. 12, 1999). “It would be hard for anyone ignorant of the Bible to understand much of the story of civilization. Public schools are obligated to avoid promoting religion, but if they ignore it completely they do a disservice to both their pupils and the Constitution.” (Nov. 28, 1999)
To further emphasize how instrumental the Bible was to our founding fathers, I would like to share a few quotes from some of these men. Patrick Henry proclaimed, "The Bible is a book worth more than all the other books that were ever printed." Prior to being elected President, Thomas Jefferson stated, "I have always said, and will always say, that studious perusal of the sacred volume will make us better citizens." It was obvious that these men felt the Bible held great significance in their life and had profound influence on their decisions.
What is the solution to this challenge of properly educating our children about our nation’s real history and try to not push any religious agenda? I believe I found the answer in a couple of courses currently being taught as elective in public schools across the nation. One is called The Bible and American Civilization and the other The Bible in History and Literature. My main knowledge is about The Bible in History and Literature because it was created by an organization in Greensboro called The National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools (NCBCPS). Their aim, as well as mine, is to offer a curriculum for students in public schools, which respect the views of major faith groups, while endorsing none in particular. On their website it is explained,
“The Bible curriculum itself is geared toward conveying the content of the Bible in a historical and literary context,” Ridenour said. “It is not our intent to indoctrinate students into a particular religion. Instead, we want to equip them with a fundamental understanding of the influence of the Bible on history, law, and our American culture, and help them gain insight into the thoughts of our country’s Founding Fathers so they can understand the Bible’s influence on those men’s views of human rights.
In my opinion, this type of course meets 5 different needs. It equips the student with a fundamental understanding of the important literary forms contained in the Bible, as well as people and symbols often referred to in literature, art, and music. It prepares the student with a fundamental understanding of the influence of the Bible on history, law, American community life and culture. It provides insight into the worldviews of America's Founding Fathers and to understanding the Biblical influences on their views on human rights. It increases knowledge of Middle-Eastern history, geography, religion and politics. And lastly I believe that it informs the students of the importance of religion in world and national history, without imposing the doctrine of any particular religious sect.
In my interviews, I explained this elective class as well as provided examples of some of the things being taught. Interestingly, the four people were divided 50/50 in their responses. Two of the subjects believe whole-heartedly that this type of program should be offered and encouraged in our schools. One person stated, “Elective courses are already being offered in Islam and Buddhism. Public Schools in CA are having kids dress in Muslim garb and pray Muslim prayers. That being the case, why not teach the Bible as history and literature...it had a profound effect Western Civilization over the course of two millennia. If we are going to be honest about our history, it needs to be at least included in its impact.”
On the contrary, two of the individuals I interviewed did not approve of these elective classes. While they did both agree American history should be taught in such a way as to include the influences of Christianity, they believe this course was taking things too far. One replied, “What if a Muslim or Jewish student signed up for the class just because they needed another elective? They may be offended by the study of the Bible.” Now, while I personally disagree with this view, I respect their view. Another common argument is that it is unconstitutional to teach anything about the Bible in today’s public schools. However, the fact is, the Supreme Court has ruled that it is constitutional when taught within the proper context.
To me, part of the beauty of this curriculum is that it is in fact an elective. Children and their parents who see value in its contents are able to choose to take this course. It is not forced upon anyone who may be offended.
When my time at Guilford is done and I move forward in the world as a teacher, I have many values that I will be taking with me. I hope to instill these morals and values in my students by setting an example for them. In addition, I hope that I am able to share with them the truth about our nation’s rich and interesting heritage.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We also spent some time on the Parkway over the long weekend. It wasn't quite as crowded as I expected...so that was a nice surprise.

We did have a hard time finding a room Saturday night. I guess we should have planned ahead.

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Glad to hear it!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Song Lyrics

One Body Ministries - Uniting believers into one body to win souls and further the cause of Christ!

I Believe Christian Network

WBFJ-Music From the Heart

Diary Of A Transplant Patient

The Life and Times of Simon

World Prayer


World Prayer