Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Trip to the dentist (SIGH)

If you have any advice...please, please feel free to comment. I'm looking for any suggestions!

_____________________________________________________________
Today 2 of our boys had dentist appointments. Austin, who is almost 8, is a rather anxious child. He doesn't like unfamilar environments. The last time he went to the dentist was 2 years ago. That time, it took us nearly an hour to convince him to go back. Then the hygentist cut his gum right off the bat. He had not even been in the chair a whole minute.

So, he has been determined he did not want to go to the dentist ever since.

When we arrived today, he wouldn't get out of the van at first. I went inside to take care off all the insurance information. I made the appointment at a pediatric dentist, thinking they would have a better approach than most. He finally came in and I could tell he was very tense and afraid. When they hygentist came to get him, he said he wanted Mamma to come back with him. The hygentist kindly, but firmly said, "We only allow parents to come back with 4 year olds or younger. You are a big boy now."

Well, he wouldn't go. He buried his face in the couch and would not budge. I tried everything. First soothing him and explaining what was going to happen. They I tried bribing him. Then I cajoled. Finally, I took him outside and threatened a spanking. That seemed to motivate him a little bit. He willing walked to the exam room and watched his brother getting his teeth cleaned. Then, when the hygentist took him by the hand to try to get him into a chair, he came running back to the waiting area.

Finally, after his brother was done, the two of them went back together to check out the exam room. It was too late for him to be seen, but he was able to sit in the chair, check out the utensils and get a feel for the room. He met the dentist and saw he was a very nice man.

We made another appointment for later this week. Do you think I handled this the right way? should I have forced him to go back? Am I babying him too much? It is just so hard to know what tact to use. I didn't want to scare him to death. But, he has to go to the dentist. It just isn't an option. I am praying that when we goes back, he will be more comfortable and actually get his teeth cleaned.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Tabatha Aikins said...

Going to a dentist office may be very hard for other kids. But if we always let them know how fun this place is, I'm definitely sure that they'll enjoy it to the fullest. Just educate your child more about dentists, or show him stuff that will make him realize how cool dentists are. =]

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

Wow Tabatha.....I posted that 6 years ago and had totally forgotten about the experience. We are WAY past that now, but thank you for your input.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Song Lyrics

One Body Ministries - Uniting believers into one body to win souls and further the cause of Christ!

I Believe Christian Network

WBFJ-Music From the Heart

Diary Of A Transplant Patient

The Life and Times of Simon

World Prayer


World Prayer