Monday, February 27, 2006

Our mountain getaway




We had a wonderful weekend getaway. We stayed in Sparta, NC which is only a little over an hour away from our home…but yet it feels like a whole different world. Friday night we sat out on the porch of the house for a little while, marveling at the sound of….no sound. No traffic. No horns. No kids. All you could hear was the occasional cow mooing and dog barking in the distance.

And the stars! Oh my! The sky was so clear and the star so bright it was hard to believe it was the same night sky that we look at from our own backyard. It was an amazing sight. It was very humbling to look upon the sky and know that God created every single star for a purpose…and then to contemplate the same for myself. I have a purpose here on this earth, every single day that I live. It encouraged me to seek His will for my life in a new and more driven fashion.

Saturday we took a long drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We stopped to hike for a while, and boy was that frustrating. My fat little round self had a very difficult time going up the inclines. If that wasn’t motivation for me to get into better shape, I don’t know what is.

The views were still outstanding…out of breath or not. As you will saw in the picture above, there is a reason they call them, “The Blue Ridge Mountains.” Being an early morning in February, we didn’t see another soul the whole time we were up there.

Saturday night we just hung out at the house…watching movies curled up in front of the fire. It was as near perfect of a weekend as it gets.

The best part is my husband and I were able to spend a good deal of time talking about our spiritual lives. We had several long discussions on what we wanted spiritually in our lives, our marriage, in a church, and for our children. It was a very enlightening and emotional time for us both and I have no doubt that we understand each other better now than ever.

We ended up coming home very late Saturday night, instead of Sunday morning. No matter how silly I knew it was, I missed our dogs and our bed. I loved the little house we were staying in, but wanted my own house. So around midnight, we packed everything up and headed home. Which was nice. There wasn’t much traffic and we had a lot of fun on the drive. We both felt like we were being devious…like teenagers sneaking out in the middle of the night.


It was a wonderful, much needed weekend free of stress and worry. Next time, we will have to take the kids with us for a whole different experience.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh! Girl, great pics and I am glad you had fun!

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Song Lyrics

One Body Ministries - Uniting believers into one body to win souls and further the cause of Christ!

I Believe Christian Network

WBFJ-Music From the Heart

Diary Of A Transplant Patient

The Life and Times of Simon

World Prayer


World Prayer