Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My college

College is sure different when you are an adult student. Last night we began the spring semester. I am in an evening degree, adult education program at a small, private college in North Carolina.

I realized once again last night just how much I love going to school. I find the intelligent discussions to be stimulating & thought provoking. My fellow students (most of whom are 25+, but some are traditional age) alternately humor, scare, enchant, and annoy me. After 6 semesters, every professor I have had has been top notch in every respect.

I love the atmosphere, too. The college was founded by Quakers, which is a religion of simplicity at its core. The many buildings are all around a center square of about 5 acres of nature. Trees, flowers, brick pathways, and wildlife abound. The buildings themselves are all red brick with gentle sloping gables and white trim. They all match in a perfect harmony.

Last night as I walked across campus in the very unusually warm weather, the church bell was toiling the 7:00 hour, and I just felt like all was right with the world. God intended for me to be in this college in this particular time in my life. While being a conservative is difficult in any liberal environment the experience is helping to solidify my own beliefs and convictions.

I know this may all sound silly...I just had the need to put down in words the fondness I feel for my college.

"You must GO forward on your knees."-Hudson Taylor

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen the campus before...it is very pretty.

I've heard that adult students are the best students...sounds like you are one of them. :-)

Good luck with the new semester. I know you will ace your courses!

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand - I'm especially fond of IU Bloomington -such a lovely campus - I could truely just live there and be happy... I'm so glad to read that you are really enjoying your college experience - more power to you!!

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Song Lyrics

One Body Ministries - Uniting believers into one body to win souls and further the cause of Christ!

I Believe Christian Network

WBFJ-Music From the Heart

Diary Of A Transplant Patient

The Life and Times of Simon

World Prayer


World Prayer