Monday, April 17, 2006

Big Decisions on the Horizon

As most everyone knows, I am a full time evening student majoring in Elementary Education and History. I've always said that I wanted to be a teacher, but I have to admit it isn't for any grand or glorious reasons. I love kids, want the summers and holiday at home with my family, and am aware that the retire benefits are outstanding.

When I started school in the summer of 2004 I knew that my senior year of college I would have to do my internship and student teaching. Basically, that I would be in the classroom all day every day, instead of attending classes at night. I recently learned that I actually will still have classes 3 nights a week my senior year, in addition to my student teaching. The school requires students to sign an agreement that they will not work during their senior year. Which is really pointless...when would we work?

Anyhow...we have recently learned that our family of 6 requires me to work at least 25-35 hours a week to make ends meet. This student teaching is now looming only one year away. I know there is NO WAY that I can go an entire year with no income.

In addition, this state require education majors to take an expensive test prior to beginning their student teaching, then a more advance one upon graduation. It has recently seemed to become very expensive and difficult...especially for a degree in which I will never make much more than I make now.

SO.......I've considered changing my major to Computer Information Systems. I know that this is a growing field and usually the pay is very good. But, there is not a lot of long term job security.

I just can't decide what to do. Because I've spent the first 2 year taking all my basic courses, changing at this point shouldn't delay my graduation. I've tried making the list of pro's and con's, but it didn't seem very helpful. I guess all I can do now is pray that God will lead me to the path He wants me to take.

Any advice?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm probably sound crass here, but TO HELL WITH THAT! That is insane! I wanted to be a teacher for a while, but decided against it becuase of the stricter requirements. If they are going to make you do all of that to get a degree they should count your education as paid training and pay for your last two years of school like they would if you had a job at a school. Its crazy to expect anyone to do all of that. If they are going to raise the standards they need to raise the pay too. Teachers deserve 10 times the level of respect they actually get.

Hows that for a boat full of useless advice? :)

~HUGS~

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Song Lyrics

One Body Ministries - Uniting believers into one body to win souls and further the cause of Christ!

I Believe Christian Network

WBFJ-Music From the Heart

Diary Of A Transplant Patient

The Life and Times of Simon

World Prayer


World Prayer