Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Earthquakes!!!

I realize in some parts of the country earthquakes are practically a daily occurance. Here in North Carolina, they are mainly just something we read about happening in other places in the world.

Our very dark and rainy Tuesday proved to be a unique experience for residents in my local area. Thousands of people were awakened Tuesday morning to a loud boom followed by shaking of their homes. To me, it felt like a car had hit our house. A lot of residents felt the same way or reported they thought a plane had crashed.

Imagine my surprise when I later learned that morning we had experienced an earthquake. Very little damage was done, mainly just items knocked off shelves in the stores. A few people reported cracks in the foundation or walls of their homes. Throughout the day, smaller booms and tremors were felt, despite the fact that the U.S. Geological Survey said there would be no aftershocks.

At 7:55 last night, my husband and I were sitting here at the computer and felt another, smaller quake. Being fully awake and aware, this one was much more disconcerting. It was a very wild and uneasy, yet exciting feeling.

A little over an hour later, at 9:20, a much larger sonic boom was followed by a brief, but VERY noticable shake of our home. It made the hair stand up on the back of our necks. My husband, who was in Desert Storm, said it sounded exactly like artillary fire. His first instinct was to reach for his gas mask, which of course was not attached to his side. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

All in all, it was a very intresting day in the city of Winston-Salem and the surrounding areas. I can't help but wonder....it is over? And if we can experience these smaller quakes, does this mean we could be subject to the larger, more voilent ones?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Song Lyrics

One Body Ministries - Uniting believers into one body to win souls and further the cause of Christ!

I Believe Christian Network

WBFJ-Music From the Heart

Diary Of A Transplant Patient

The Life and Times of Simon

World Prayer


World Prayer